Friday, July 14, 2017

We Are in the South!

March 1-11, 2017

I podunked through Louisiana, stopping in the small towns, getting the oil changed, and wondering how anyone could manage to navigate a swamp.  Those boats look pretty cool, but there seems to be as much soggy land as there is water.  I guess you'd have to know the routes, or maybe be able to tell what sort of vegetation grows in deeper water vs that in the shallows.

Also fun is the food.  I didn't manage to get any crawfish because all the people I saw selling them were offering giant amounts.  It seems you don't eat crawfish by yourself; you throw a party. Oh well.  I'll keep an eye out for them next time I'm south.

Grocery shelves are also fun.




Chicken feet and giant bags of grits.  Mmmmm

Also abundant in the south is pollen.  Okay, pollen is everywhere but what we encountered was super-nasty allergenic pollen.  While I don't mind wheezing and coughing, at least as long as I have drugs to counteract the effects, poor little Butch also has allergies and it is awful watching your little kitty struggling to take a breath.  I did share my inhalent with him but he didn't much care for that either, so I tried to devise a pollen screen for the windows and vents.  I started with a towel but that was dark and didn't block much of the pollen.  While walking through the store trying to come up with something clever, I did!  Vacuum bags!  Totally cheap and you can get them with an allergen liner to make things even better.  They allow air exchange (barely) and could be custom fit to the windows.


Some masking tape for the edges and we were set.  I think it did help along with the filter fan I bought, but the camper did get warm without a breeze.

Enough city; we need some green.

No comments:

Post a Comment