Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Wild Horses

May 20, 2017

I left the camping area early to get to the beach.  Assateague Island National Seashore has wild beaches and even wilder horses (or ponies, depending on who you talk to.  Apparently they are the size of ponies, but have the structure of horses.)  They kindly graze in the parking area to greet visitors.


There are many boardwalks to the shoreline and I walked on the beach for a couple hours (and got really sunburned, but, whatever).




This looks like an insane amount of fun.



More ponies a short way off a walking trail


Mennonite (probably) vacationers.  For some reason it makes me really happy that even with a strict religion, people can go to the beach.  



Ponies stopping traffic.  No one minded.

I had thought about camping here for a night but walking the shore made me happy I hadn't.  The wind was super-strong and being even a few feet inland from the water blasted your skin with blowing sand.  The tents along the shore looked uncomfortably slammed by gusts of wind, and I'm not sure the noise of the sand-blasting and possible paint removal from the vehicle would have been worth the experience. Maybe it was an exceptionally windy day and normally you don't need to cover your skin to avoid being scoured.

No comments:

Post a Comment