Sunday, July 16, 2017

Forests and Falls

March 12 - 23, 2017

Another heat wave was on the way and I headed into the DeSoto National Forest (MS) to ride it out with shade and trees.  It's a fabulous place to camp, providing cleared camping areas, water and toilets.  Although there were a few one-nighters, the campground was mainly me and a guy from Maine who spends the winter months traveling with his dog, staying where there is no snow.  Mornings were too cold for snakes so I let the kitties out for an hour or two.  Bo stays close to home unless I'm walking with him but Butch thinks it's nifty to find a spot just out of sight and sit there, pondering.

When we ran out of food, I turned the wheels north and drove out of the forest.  When we got to the grocery store I realized the latch on the hood wasn't latching no matter how hard I pressed on the hood.  A few minutes with Google armed me with a screwdriver for prodding the spring and a can of the stuff I use to lubricate my locks.

The spring was not caught in its sheath (most common problem) but jabbing at the hook mechanism caused it to suddenly snap closed.  Ah.  Another victim of the beach.  I sprayed the crap out of it with the lock lube and jiggled all the bits to spread the (graphite, silicone, oil?) into as many places as possible.  The whole thing started moving smoothly and with the vehicle once again safe to drive we were off.

After a brief stop in Selma, AL to appreciate the architecture we drove to the Little River Canyon National Preserve in Alabama.  I was hoping it would be a place to spend a few days but it's more of a summer recreation place requiring boats and maybe fishing poles.  There were plenty of places to stop and look even though the cooler flowers and plants weren't yet up.






You drive along the winding road, stopping at various viewpoints to see different aspects of the canyon.  Across the bridge is a walkway down towards the water that provides the best view of the falls.  If you don't mind stone steps, there's another stairway that takes you right to the water's edge.



No comments:

Post a Comment