Sunday, October 15, 2017

The Great White North - Or At Least a Nice City on the Lake

August 31 - September 4, 2017

I was a little apprehensive about crossing the border mainly because of the cats but it was a snap.  The lovely young border patrol guard with a melting French accent peered into the rig, spotted the cats' eyes peering at him from under the table and said thanks.  Awesome. 

I decided to stick with the short distance driving scheme and randomly chose Hamilton as a stopping place.  I am so glad I did this 1) because it's all city between Niagara and Toronto and 2) I happened upon a fabulous park.

Lake Ontario looks to have a lot of park space along its shores and Confederation Beach Park is part of that trail system.  I parked in the lot and spent a couple hours walking the trail.  There are some great views of the lake and I found unexpected art work that is adorable.







I just loved these carvings!

The next day it was on to Toronto.  Turns out there IS a big hill but it comes in the form of a bridge and wasn't too daunting.  I also didn't realize that there were so many (...any...) wineries in Canada.  Could be a fun wine tasting trip some time.

Although the roads and traffic suck, Toronto is gorgeous.  Once my Canadian friend pointed out that there is a subway and I didn't have to drive downtown the city looked even nicer.  

Plus they have cool black squirrels.



I wandered downtown a bit, had a great time having lunch with old friends I had never met and discovered that even our extra polite neighbours to the north will ditch an overgrown zucchini if they think they can get away with it.



No comments:

Post a Comment