Saturday, October 21, 2017

Central PA

September 8 - 14, 2017

The park was a long day and I stopped for the night at a small Walmart with a big view.  I don't know why people prefer to pay to sleep when spots like this are all over the country.


One place I've always wanted to see is Centralia PA. There isn't much there to see after 55 years of fire burning the coal seam.  Most of the town residents moved out in the 80s when the air became dangerous to breathe and sink holes began opening up. Sometime in the 90s most of the homes were demolished with 10 or so families refusing to leave.  All that's left are the streets that are slowly crumbling and vacant, overgrown lots.  Actually looked like a good place to stop for the night but I hadn't checked into the legality of that so I didn't stay.




Next stop was Harrisburg to meet a friend and her amazing twins.  Had a blast with them at Fort Hunter.

Although the sunset at Harrisburg was amazing,
I needed water and some time in the trees.  Next stop: Another State Park,



No comments:

Post a Comment