Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Texas Parks

December 22 - January 1, 2017

South of Fort Worth the Brazos River widens into Granbury Lake.  Around the shores are several parks that allow free camping for a week or so.  I chose one at random and settled in.



The area is nice, if lacking trees (there were a few).  The park was across a large field from houses and busier than I would have expected for winter.  The cats went out a few times and Bo plunked himself near the shore and stared at the water for the longest time.  I can't image what was going through his head.  Butch, of course, raced into the field to hunt critters.

After Christmas I went farther down the Brazos to Steele Creek Park on Lake Whitney.  Much more isolated and I pulled into one of the two campsites with trees.  Lots of them.  After checking out the area I decided it was safe for the cats.  The first day was fine - they stayed close and played in the trees where I could keep an eye on them.  But being good is not Butch's style so after that they went across the street where the grass was higher and the woods more prevalent.

I went across the street to make sure it was okay and heard a growl.  Listening carefully I realized it was Bo, and then I realized it was coming from inside a culvert.

Seriously?  Who's cats are stupid enough to go inside a dark culvert?  Mine, apparently.  After calling him a couple times I raced back to the camper to get a flashlight hoping it wasn't anything worse than a skunk in there with him.  As I was crossing back over the street, Bo came running across.  I grabbed him to check his face and paws for injuries.  Nothing.  Phew.  Curious about what was in the culvert I put my flashlights down at one end and went to the other to see if I could see anything.  What I saw was Butch running out.  Seriously?  Both of them were that dumb?  Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment