Friday, March 17, 2017

Down to the Tip of Texas

January 6 – 17, 2017

Sticking mainly to small town Walmarts, we made our way to Brownsville. Rural Texas is much like you'd expect; lots of trucks, lots of open space. The stores have minimal wifi (sometimes none) and even the Walmart “superstores” are more like minimarts with lots of milk and snacks but not much in the way of meat or veggies. Presumably there are more expansive grocery stores elsewhere.

Some of the most fun is finding quirky surprises. This sign store appears to be out of business, but I imagine the owner had a good time while it was up and running.

Down in Brownsville while planning another trip into Mexico, this guy circled my vehicle a few times before stopping to chat.

He's a traveling minister who uses the rv as a place to relax when the venue is far from home. We chatted for a while and he encouraged me to go to the beach before leaving so I'll keep that on the to-do list.

The weather was drizzly so I hung out in the camper for the day reading. It turns out that no one really cares how long you camp at Walmart and I've stayed at places for up to three days. Eventually you'd get rousted I suppose, but it would take a while for someone to get up the gumption to take action. I figure with my small truck it would be a week or so before anyone started wondering and longer than that if I bopped out somewhere and came back. Not that most parking lots are ideal camping spots, but sometimes you just get tired of switching places.


These guys parked right next to me in the middle of the night. I suppose my rig gave them protection on one side while the tarp covered the other. Turned out to be three kids who had a blast in Mexico and were now on their way home to a land of lattes and mom's washing machine. At least, I'm hoping the washer was part of the plan. It didn't seem like (smell like) bathing was high the priority list while lounging on the beach.







No comments:

Post a Comment