Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Trekking to Texas

Nov 8-18, 2017

The tow truck driver suggested that I really needed to get out in the field and pick some cotton to get the full Alabama experience but it seems that they all use machines so, bummer, no back-breaking, character-building experience for me.  Fields are pretty though, before they get picked.


After, not so much.

Thanksgiving was approaching and I kind of charged across Mississippi and Arkansas without paying much attention to things.  I stopped in towns that were really tiny; not much more than a pausing place for travelers.

When I made it to Texarkana, the first place big enough to have a laundromat, I discovered that the top panel of my fiberglass was on its way to becoming litter. 


Dunno how that came about but driving that way seems like a bad plan so I did some emergency bandaging to get me a little farther into Texas where I can borrow a ladder from my brother to glue that back down.

I also decided I needed a new truck battery after driving with the headlights left my old battery dead.  Got a jump from a lovely lady living in her van and got the Walmart five-year battery.  Walmart has a lot of ethical issues but they are nationwide and they will replace a battery purchased at another Walmart.

Of course I had to stop in Paris, TX because....it's Paris, TX.  They used to boast the second-tallest Eiffel tower in the world (a cowboy hat taller than the one in Paris, TN) but Las Vegas built some monstrosity and now they are third, and who wants to boast about that?



They can, however, boast about having the only Jesus wearing cowboy boots.  Even the Lord knows better than to mess with sandals and fire ants.




No comments:

Post a Comment