Thursday, January 4, 2018

Fort Worth

Nov 20 - Dec 2, 2017

My brother and sister-in-law were nice enough to invite me back for Thanksgiving despite me crashing their house for a month last year.  Not only was it good to catch up with family, it also gave me a chance to glue my house back together.  The panel looked mainly decorative and after some elbow grease and Goo-Gone to get the tape off, I used liquid nails and some two-by-fours to stick the panel back down.  It seemed to work well enough that I did some preventative maintenance on other sections and glued other parts of the top panel to the rest of the siding.


Back in the late 1800s, Fort Worth was the last safe place to stop and resupply before driving the cattle into Indian Country.  The Stockyards were a big part of growing Cowtown into the city it is today and the historic district has some great architecture, old bars, and a kind of lame "cattle drive" the herds a dozen or so longhorns through the streets.




There are unique shops (need some habenero sugar?  You'll find it here) and a lot of history in a easily walkable section of town. And if you get tired of strolling the pavement, find one of those old bars and have a beer surrounded by atmosphere.  You might even find a buffalo butt stuck to the wall or these cool old fans driven by a single belt.


This year's plan for winter is to check out the deserts of Arizona where apparently thousands of RVers go to escape the frigid air.  There are many miles between here and the desert so I didn't stick around for very long. 


No comments:

Post a Comment