Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Twelve Score and One Year Ago

September 21 - 22, 2017

I know nothing about history but I'm finding that visiting the parks is giving me incentive to learn.  The National Battlefields and Military Parks have been amazing in that they work very hard at presenting a non-slanted viewpoint, emphasizing the good and bad things done by both sides.  Gettysburg is more focused on the North but I think that's because the army's were in a collected area while Southern troops were spread around the Northern horseshoe.

I never saw this guy but his license plate is from Washington State. Not sure if he's on a big summer adventure or living in his Scamp.


Veterans from many wars are buried at Gettysburg.


Civil War soldiers are marked by strips of concrete. Many have names, many are just numbers. All are Union soldiers, the Rebels are buried all over the area.

I guess this guy's regiment was known so he got a place with his compatriots.

I did one Ranger talk and went to the cemetery but couldn't muster the energy for much more than that.  Pennsylvania was about 15 degrees hotter than normal and there is no shade anywhere near the parking areas.  I took the sweaty kitties back to Walmart and parked in the shade provided by a giant RV in the lot.  

All good things come to an end, even batteries. I thought maybe I was parked in the shade too long and the battery couldn't charge enough to manage the refrigerator overnight but no, even getting the battery up to full charge didn't provide enough juice to keep things cold.



Oh well.Thankfully Walmart has all kinds of batteries and the lovely gentlemen were kind enough to hoist that heavy thing into the compartment for me and hook it up.  Everything seemed to work after the operation and I'm assuming we are good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment